Tuesday, January 24, 2006

My Favorite Supplier

Normally I create my soap using the 'scratch' way, with veggie or olive oils and lye to create my handmade soaps. Right now, I've got three cats and kids that are just not in the mood to allow me the time and alone-ness that is needed when working with lye.
I decided to see what glycerin soap base can do. I've used what some call Melt and Pour soap before for cute bath soaps for my kids, and some art soaps, but never really did any 'adult' soaping with it. I don't like the words 'Melt and Pour' because it takes away from what this stuff is. It's real soap, made with lye and veggie oil, just not made by me. I can take this soap, heat it up and add goodies that make it extra moisturizing, exfoliating and acne fighting. I use the same molds that I do when I make lye soap, I cut it the same way and wrap it nicely. It's great to work with and I don't have to worry about inhaling lye fumes. BTW, lye fumes are toxic and smell like lilacs. I know this because I have inhaled the fumes and then spent 20 minutes coughing them back up. I've also spilled it on my hardwood floors and it's a very difficult job trying to clean up what would eat your skin if you touch it. Sometimes a pre-made soap base is just what the doctor ordered.

So, I went on a hunt to find the best base I could. I bought 2 pound chunks from 8 different suppliers. I found two that I like a lot. I've decided to get my base from one company. I chose this company because they also have some of the nicest fragrance oils (I use BOTH essential oils and fragrance oils in my bath products) that I've found. The service is outstanding, and the people are ultra friendly.

The company is called Gelluminations. They sell mostly soy candle supplies (which are also excellent) but also have skin safe fragrances and soap base, colorants and other bath/body manufacturing supplies. The company is owned by Terry and Lisa, if you visit, tell them Ginny said 'hi'.
Find them at their website: www.creativeilluminations.com

Today's soap batches were Cherry Blossom, a BBW scent. It's a pretty pinky color and smells like Heaven! The second batch is a big favorite, Chocolate and Vanilla Twist. Made with Ghirardelli Chocolate and Vanilla Bean fragrance, this one is swirled chocolate and white. It's also a heavenly scent. And no, the chocolate doesn't make you feel sticky, but beware going near a chocolate lover. They may just eat you up!

Have a good night, visit again soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home